I’m Des. I design software.
Specifically I design the end user experience of Intercom, working with a great team on a great product. I do this by understanding the following…
- The domain the software is targeting.
- The customers the application owner hopes for.
- The technical constraints that the software must work within.
- The real world data that will be presented within the application.
- The tangible measurable goals of the design
My work typically involves the production of personas, sketches, and wireframes, followed later in development by measurement via analytics reports and user testing.
I am the COO and User Experience Lead at Intercom. Intercom is a web application for enabling website owners to grow personal relationships with their customers. Prior to Intercom, I worked on a web app called Exceptional which was a very popular web based error handler for most popular languages.
Before the world of web apps I worked with Contrast, a very popular design consultancy. My work there was primarily as a UX consultant, though my role included some project management, sales, and administrative work.
For UX designers
For App Owners
I regularly give talks about topics relating to User Experience design, Strategy for start-ups, and the business of web applications. Often I give talks with my co-founder Eoghan, which are both informative and entertaining.
- CS Forum 2011 - upcoming
- MIX 2011 - video available
- FOWA 2010 Dublin - video available
- FOWA 2010 London (video restricted to members only)
- Lessconf 2009- video available
- Flash on the Beach 2009 - video restricted to members only
- Apple Developer Days 2009, 2010 (slides available)
- The Dot Conf 2010 - video available